Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 4: Çeşme

We woke up and had brunch and started for our next little exploration in Çeşme. We went to another place that was about a 10 minute walk from the house. I didn't catch the name of the place, but for some reason in the jetties there was a warm spring emptying into the Aegean. So a lot of people swim around this warm spring where the water mixes with the Aegean creating warmer water than the other areas around. As you can imagine this was a pretty popular swimming place.



After our swim, we walked back to the house and swam briefly in the beach right in front of their house, which was in actuality a pretty darn nice beach to live in front of. I certainly wouldn't have minded!



All in all it was a great visit and I had a great time. It was wonderful of them to give me such hospitality and to get that practice with my Turkish. While Naomi had been showing me a good time, Besim had completed his tour in Kuşadası and returned to Izmir. I would take a bus that evening and meet him there for a day. Naomi refused to let me pay for the bus and sent me on my way. On the bus, I ended up sitting in the front seat, giving me a bird's eye view of the short ride to Izmir.

When I arrived in Izmir, Besim did not pick me up at the bus terminal. Instead he told me to take a cab to his apartment. I didn't really want to take a cab (after my previous experiences, I think you all should know how I feel about them. The cab driver was actually pretty cool though. He was a Kurdish guy and was surprised to find out that I had traveled to some Kurdish places. We spent the 20 minute taxi ride learning Kurdish words, which I thought was fun. Unfortunately, I don't remember most of them now, "tav" = sun and spas = thank you. I think that might be the extent of my Kurdish knowledge at this point. :-/.

When I arrived, we took a walk and Besim showed me the area around his apartment. I got to see the main square of Izmir at night, which was cool. We also went out to dinner at a restaurant nearby. Then we came back home and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment