Friday, July 3, 2009

Sunday, April 19th

Sadly, on Sunday I had to say goodbye to Germany. When we woke up, Brenton’s parents had gone to church. Upon returning, they had 4 chocolate Milka candy bars! One of the many things Germany is famous for is of course its chocolate. It was awesome that his parents bought some to give to me. They also had another of my favorites for breakfast on Sunday…lox! Oh my goodness you cannot imagine how happy I was to have them! Then, when I told them I couldn’t find them easily in Turkey (there are some specialty expensive places that have them) they gave me more. When I told them it was too much, they said, “No, no. We can have these any time but you can’t so you should eat them now.” It was very sweet of them.

Afterwards, we made our way to the airport and I said my goodbyes and thanked them for a lovely weekend in Germany. Upon boarding the plane, I ended up sitting next to this Turkish woman who was about 9 years older than me who spoke only German and Turkish. Armed with my dictionary, we slowly made conversation in Turkish. At the end she gave me her email address and occasionally we still talk. She was in Germany because her boyfriend is living there and she works at a hotel in Istanbul as a receptionist. For me it was particularly exciting because it was the first time (albeit slowly and painfully) that I had a conversation in Turkish that involved more than just “Merhaba” (Hello) and “Nasilsin?” (How are you?).

One thing I did not get to do that I desperately wanted to while I was in Germany was go to a beer garden. Brenton was kind enough to inform me that on the way home from the airport in Germany, he and his parents stopped off at a beer garden for the afternoon. Oh well…maybe next time. All in all it was a lovely trip and I was very glad I ventured out of Turkey for the weekend (and I was able to renew my visa…score!)

No comments:

Post a Comment