Friday, July 3, 2009

A weekend in Germany

When I came to Turkey, I decided that instead of going through the hassle of getting an education visa and residence permit (a process that was both costly and difficult), I would just get a tourist visa when I flew in. It was one of the best decisions I ever made for a number of different reasons. However, one of the consequences was that I would be required to leave the country every 90 days and re-enter Turkey. A couple of weeks before Spring Break our plans changed, requiring me to take a spontaneous trip outside of Turkey before my visa expired.
Brenton, a friend from Emory, had invited me to come visit him in Germany several times. His parents are ex-patriots, moving there because his father’s work required him to do so. I was unsure if I would actually go, but of course I wanted to. On Wednesday (April 15), I began looking for flights. At around midnight I found a cheap flight to Frankfurt for about 200 dollars round trip for the following morning! I ended up booking this flight less than 12 hours in advance of my flight! In fact, Brenton had already gone to bed and did not know I was coming until he woke up the next morning (which was fine with him because he said I could come any time). Of course the scary part about this was that once I got to Frankfurt I had no directions or idea of what I should do. I sent him an email, hoping he would get it and send me instructions by the time my flight landed in Frankfurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment